Most people start with their professional history first but that is not what I am most proud of so here it goes in order.
1. The most important job of all - Husband, Son and Father
My family is the highlight film I wish my athletic and professional career could achieve!
2. Go out in the world and do good things that make you and other people happy!
Athletic Bio- Gordon Murray
1984 – MVP Track and Cross Country – Brevard High School
Qualified for the state meet in TAC - 5000M
Personal Records from 2.01 for the 800M to 16:20 - 5000M
1985 – Member of Brevard College, National Championship Cross Country team
1986 – 2013 – Played soccer for Brevard College and various club teams- Beer City Asheville Tournament
2000 – 2013 – Ran 13 Marathons including Boston 2003 / 2013
PR’s in open division – 36:28 10,000M and 1:03 for 10 miles
2005 – Finished multiple triathlons including an Olympic Distance event – Suffered a life
altering bike wreck while training for the Ironman distance
2007 – Turned 40, entered the masters division and won the Running Journal Grand Prix
40 to 44 age group. That same year I ran the following masters PR’s: 3:00:06 - Marathon (yes I missed breaking the 3 hour mark by 6 seconds) 1:23 – Half Marathon (2008) –1:29 in 2014 17:53 – 5000M
Sometimes I still win races if no fast kids show up!
I now coach endurance athletes and will set up training for a specified event based on a time goal.
Crossfit – PSE Power / Strength / Endurance
2008 – Crossfit – began 2 to 3 WOD – (workout of the day) –progressed to 5
2010 – Crosfit Endurance certified trainer(now PSE) – Changed my running style after 44 years - my heels do not hit the ground. Palio based nutrition plan. Muscle release training. Now teach and use practices learned in my training and coaching
Quote....strive to blur distinctions between “cardio” and strength training. Nature has no regard for this distinction.
Soccer - instruct – U6 through U18
Played for 2 football clubs in 2012
Play in ABYSA Adult soccer leagues-Stumptown Football Club and Smush FC
TURF Indoor Tournament Coed champions 2014
Volleyball- Local league champs 4 years in a row. Tournament play.
Weight Training – Lift in association with crossfit - Bench Pressed - 225 Lbs and ran Boston marathon in the same week.
SwimRun - New sport in USA. Last race was a trail half marathon mixed with a 4 mile swim.
Mountain Biking – Just for fun
Golf – I am terrible but love it!
Yoga – 2 to 3 times per week- Brevard Yoga
Brevard High School Soccer
Head Coach 2015 Assistant coach 2012 –2015 / Made the 3rd round of the state playoffs 2012
BHS Track – Assistant Coach - 2015
TURF – Indoor Soccer Facility – Coaching, Training and League play.
Mountain Elite Volley Ball Club– Assistant coach 18’s Division Tournament play for the spring of 2013. Coached developmental team 2015
BHS Volleyball – Crossfit Trainer – 2012
Crossfit Endurance Certified Trainer – 2012
Brevard Soccer Academy - 2017 - U12 team Champions at Autum Blast tournament in Hickory, NC. 2018 - 2 summer soccer camps - Team: Fighting White Squirrels
Currently coaching running and endurance for Mile to Marathon and Triathlon – Wrote a book on running that I use for coaching in 2010 called Running in the Pursuit of Happiness.
Personal and Business
BS - Appalachian State University(1990) – Commercial Recreation Management minor in Psychology Brevard College – Undergraduate Degree
Transylvania Youth Soccer Association - 15 years of leadership
President –Director of Player Development and coaching Certified Soccer Instructor: NCYSA - E class Coaching license
Past President of Transylvania Community Arts Council
Recreation Advisory board for the City of Brevard and Transylvania County
Transylvania Sports and Recreation Foundation
Youth ministry and mentoring at St Philips Episcopal Church -20 years
25+ year career in both Operations Management and Sales & Marketing
• I opened my first restaurant at 21 years old, was successful and it groomed me to continue into my next phase.
• Lone Star Steakhouse & Saloon (Coulter Enterprises)– Went to work out of college as a manager when company had only 2 stores and left 6 years later when they had 205 operating restaurants. Awarded for top Sales Growth, Cultural Excellence and was a Southeast training store General Manager, turning out hundreds of successful managers and General Managers. Retired from the restaurant business and moved to Brevard, NC. I have a hard knocks business degree in what it feels like to hold on to a bucking bronco for dear life while a company expands at the speed of light.
I found out I still needed to work and begin my career in Sales & Marketing. I have been fortunate enough to have had 20 years working in my hometown of Brevard NC. I was able to be close to my twin girls the entire time they were in school and this worked out well since my wife is a traveling Speech Pathologist.
• Aegis Holdings – Corporate Sales Manager – High End building products distributor / manufacturer –We looked to sell to homes being built for 3 million or more. Built sales from 500K to 6 million – 6 years
• KEIR Manufacturing – Operations & Sales and Marketing for this specialty manufacturer. Building sales and developing relationships for 10 years.
Mountaineer Outdoors LLC - Sales & Marketing Business focused on the outdoor industry. Opened in September of 2017. Go play Outside!
My twin daughters just graduated from Appalachian State University and I have made time for new projects like TRUVENTURE and Coach Gordon. I am so very proud of my home and would love to show you around. You may catch a glimpse of me running in Dupont State Forest, Pisgah National Forest or at Brevard College as these are my favorite places of comfort. Well and discomfort if I am hammering out a work out! Go with me if you can!